Turnera Diffusa (Damiana)
Damiana, also known as Turnera diffusa, is a wild shrub growing in Mexico and throughout central America as well the West Indies.
We’ll be looking today at whether Turnera diffusa can *help with sexual performance  but before that, what is this shrub and how does it work?
The leaf and stem of damiana have traditionally been used to make various medicines. Click here to learn more about enhancer ingredients.
The core use of Turnera diffusa over the years has been as a reputed aphrodisiac.
Other applications include:
- *Mitigating sexual problems
- Dealing with stomach complaints like diarrhea, constipation and dyspepsia
- *Improving symptoms of PMS and menopause
Although the damiana leaf and stem are used for all of the above, there’s still not enough scientific evidence to fully support claims made about many properties of this shrub.
How does it work, exactly?
How Does Turnera Diffusa Work?
Here’s where more uncertainty lies…
The precise mechanism used by Turnera diffusa is unknown.
What is known is that damiana contains certain chemicals that might affect the central nervous system and the brain.
There are no established dosages. When sold as a standalone capsule, take a 450mg capsule 3 times daily. Damiana is best taken with meals.
Key Benefits of Turnera Diffusa
- Sexual problems: Some research indicates that a product combining damiana, ginseng (both Panax ginseng and American ginseng), ginkgo, L-arginine , vitamins and minerals might *improve sexual satisfaction while also increasing the frequency of orgasm and *reducing dryness in women with sexual problems
- Weight loss: Some early studies show that a formulation including Turnera diffusa, yerba mate and guarana could *reduce body weight in overweight subjects
- Antidepressant: Thymol, an active constituent of damiana, can potentially have a stimulating effect on your body and mind. If depression and anxiety occur together as a result of long-term stress, damiana might be beneficial
- Digestive health: Turnera diffusa helps to break down the fats and sugars in your nutrient system. By doing this, the body’s ability to absorb nutrients *increases so you’ll get the very most out of all the food you eat. Damiana can also *encourage the cleansing of your gastrointestinal tract which forces your body to dispel harmful toxins that would slow down digestion
- Male sexual health: Throughout history, damiana has been used to help *alleviate problems related to getting and maintaining an erection
- Female sexual health: Although used traditionally as a male aphrodisiac, damiana is starting to gain currency for its utility in dealing with some female sexual health problems, too
- Headaches: Damiana is thought to have some soothing ability if you’re suffering from a headache
- Bedwetting: Turnera diffusa has been pressed into action over the years to inhibit bedwetting, perhaps due to its relaxing properties
Turnera Diffusa for Sexual Performance
Damiana’s erotic reputation dates back centuries to the indigenous Guaycura in Baja, Mexico.
One of the primary applications over the years has been to help *achieving and *maintaining erections.
Since damiana also has properties known to *alleviate stress and anxiety, it could be beneficial if fear of poor sexual performance is what’s really holding you back.
Turnera diffusa *slows down the digestive tract and pushes oxygen down below. This might *help with sexual performance.
One small study claims that damiana promotes heightened sensitivity in erogenous zones which in turn leads to enhanced sexual pleasure.
As with most of the effects attributed to Turnera diffusa, more scientific research is required to back up historic claims of the aphrodisiacal nature of this Mexican shrub.
Side Effects and Contraindications of Turnera Diffusa
- Damiana should be safe when taken in the amounts you’d commonly find in foods.
- The leaf is possibly safe when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts.
- Although side effects are rare, some serious instances have involved people experiencing convulsions and rabies-like symptoms after a dose of 200g of damiana extract.
- Damiana could also *decrease blood sugar levels. Exercise caution and speak with your healthcare provider if you’re taking diabetes medication and want to try damiana.
- You should also note that Turnera diffusa leaves can have a slight laxative effect. In higher amounts, you might also experience loosening of the stools.
- More research into the way damiana affects the female hormonal system is needed before considering it safe to use during pregnancy.
What To Do Next
If you feel that the purported aphrodisiac properties of Turnera diffusa might give you a boost in the bedroom, why not consider checking out VigRX Plus?
If you make sure you speak with your doctor first, you might experience some of those fabled aphrodisiacal benefits without any risk.