Epimedium Sagittatum Leaf (Horny Goat Weed) & Libido
When you’re considering a male enhancement supplement such as VigRX Plus, you should always spare a few minutes to look into the ingredients.
Luckily, we’ve broken down a cross-section of those ingredients for you and today’s focus is on horny goat weed.
Known by a string of names including epimedium sagittatum leaf, what is this traditional Chinese medicine and is it really an aphrodisiac?
Epimedium is an herb that’s been used for 2000 years to *enhance libido and to *deal with a range of conditions from kidney disease to bone complaints.
The amusing name horny goat weed comes from the Chinese yin yang huo (licentious goat plant.) Legend has it that a goat herder noticed frisky behavior
While there’s still room for plenty more human research into this traditional Chinese medicine .
How Does Horny Goat Weed Work?
There are chemicals in horny goat weed that might help *improve blood flow and *boost sexual function.
The flavonoid icariin has been shown to help your body to more efficiently transmit nitric oxide which in turn ensures enough blood is sent to your penis tissue. Icariin also helps the body to circulate more free-form testosterone which could *enhance libido.
Horny goat weed also contains phytoestrogens. These chemicals act similarly to the female hormone estrogen. This might help *reduce bone loss in post-menopausal women.
We’ll highlight the primary benefits ascribed to this age-old herb so you can see at a glance what it’s reputed to do…
- Bone Health: A study showed that taking a specific extract of epimedium for a 2-year period alongside calcium supplements *decreases bone loss in the hip and spine of post-menopausal women to a greater extent than if they’d taken calcium alone. The extract was demonstrated to have worked in a similar fashion to the hormone estrogen.
- Male Sexual Health: Long used as a male aphrodisiac and also used to mitigate a range of sexual dysfunction.
- Female Sexual Health: Horny goat weed has also been used in traditional medicine as a possible method of *increasing libido and *reducing sexual dysfunction in women. One way it achieves this is by *increasing blood flow.
- Postmenopausal Conditions: Taking horny goat weed extract for 6 months could *decrease cholesterol and *boost estrogen levels in postmenopausal women.
Is Horny Goat Weed Good For The Libido?
The way in which the icariin in horny goat weed helps to *encourage blood flow and to encourage the body optimize circulation of freeform testosterone might help to *increase libido if you’re struggling to perform in the bedroom.
Maybe you’ve also heard about the use of epimedium for erectile dysfunction and some animal studies have shown promising effects.
When you become sexually aroused, nitric oxide signals cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) and this causes the smooth muscle to relax.
This results in blood flowing into cylinders in the penis and from there you get an erection.
If you’re suffering from problems achieving or maintaining an erection, there’s an enzyme called PDE5 that interferes with the cGMP and nitric oxide preventing erection. If you take horny goat weed, the icariin in the herb will work to *inhibit the PDE5 from blocking the dilation of the arteries in your penis. In this sense it works a little like that famous blue prescription pill.
So far, so good. Is horny goat weed safe, though?
Short-term use of horny goat weed should present no adverse reaction or side effects.
As with any herbal supplement, you should always speak with your doctor.
Some side effects have been reported and include:
- *Decreased thyroid function
- Feeling hot
- *Increased energy
- Racing heart
Horny goat weed might interact with other medications including:
- Aromatase Inhibitors (anastrozole, exemestane, letrozole)
- Cytochrome P450 substrates
The FDA does not monitor the safety, quality or purity of herbs so you should always ensure you buy these supplements from a reputable source.
Also, you should always speak with your healthcare provider first.
With horny goat weed, more research is needed to guarantee its safety and to establish any further potential side effects.
What To Do Next
If you’re tempted by the eastern promise of horny goat weed, VigRX Plus includes this alluring ingredient along with a host of others to give you a helping hand in the bedroom.