Ptychopetalum olacoides bark is also and more briefly known as muira puama but what is it and why should you care?
The roots and stems of the muira puama tree, native to the Brazilian Amazon rainforest, have a long history of use in traditional Brazilian medicine.
Since muira puama is claimed to be a natural aphrodisiac and is also used to help counter sexual dysfunction1, it’s no surprise that the extract is used in male enhancement supplements like VigRX Plus.
Although there’s insufficient evidence and a lack of human studies as with many similar ingredients, we’ll highlight today what is known about the elusive Ptychopetalum olacoides bark.
Muira Puama: Overview
The roots and stems of muira puama are used for a broad spread of conditions including:
- Erectile issues
- Joint pain
- Menstrual pain
- Loss of appetite
- Upset stomach
Ptychopetalum olacoides bark is sometimes used as an adaptogen. An adaptogen is a substance that helps to *increase your body’s resistance to chronic stress.
Muira puama also has a long tradition of being used to *treat flagging libido a boost.
There’s still not enough evidence to back up many of the claimed benefits but there’s certainly a rich history of use throughout Latin America so how does muira puama actually work?
How Does Muira Puama Work?
As with so many extracts from traditional medicine, the precise mechanism of Ptychopetalum olacoides bark is unknown.
For the same reason, there’s no recommended dose since this has not been adequately tested. Dosage depends on variables like age and gender along with medical history so be sure to speak with your doctor before undertaking a course of muira puama.
Claimed Benefits of Muira Puama
- Sexual Disorders: An animal study showed muira puama was beneficial in *protecting rats against age-related erectile dysfunction
- Libido: One study showed that muira puama *improved sexual desire in over 60% of men with low libido. When combined with ginkgo biloba, muira puama *increased sexual desire in 65% of women. More studies are required in this area but there seems at least some evidence backs up the Amazonian claims
- Brain Health: Muira puama has been shown to *improve and *repair memory in an animal study. Long viewed as a brain tonic, muira puama might possibly *protect the brain against some of the ravages of Alzheimer’s disease and *safeguard against other forms of cognitive decline
- Memory: A study on mice demonstrated that muira puama could help *restore memory in brain damaged mice
- Depression: While human studies are needed, animal studies show muira puama might have some possible benefits for *alleviating stress-induced depression
- Stress: When you’re stressed, your cortisol and blood sugar levels spike. Muira puama could help normalize this and so might *reduce the stress you feel
- Fatigue: Whether you’re feeling sluggish after an illness or you’re just feeling generally fatigued, muira puama can pep you up slightly
- Cholesterol: When used on rats, muira puama *reduced fat deposits along with total cholesterol while *increasing lean body mass
Muira Puama For Better Sex?
As with so many extracts used in traditional medicine, not enough human scientific studies have been carried out to give us conclusive findings as to how they work as aphrodisiacs. In many cases, as with Ptychopetalum olacoides bark, we still need to get to the bottom of the mechanism in order to better understand why these properties exist.
Some small studies have shown that muira puama is a promising way of *enhancing libido and it might also be useful for *improving erectile dysfunction. More data is required to establish accurate findings.
Side Effects of Muira Puama
The paucity of research into muira puama means little is known about whether or not it’s safe to use this extract long-term.
One common side effect is insomnia so reconsider using muira puama if you already suffer from sleep-related issues.
Continued use of Ptychopetalum olacoides bark might also *inhibit the way an enzyme called cholinesterase2 works. This can lead to a *loss in muscle coordination.
Speak with your healthcare provider to alleviate any concerns you might have about using muira puama.
What To Do Next
If you feel the natural aphrodisiac Ptychopetalum olacoides bark might help revive your ailing libido, think about trying out some VigRX Plus. This powerful formula packs plenty of muira puama along with an array of other ingredients to pep up your sex drive.
Speak with your healthcare provider before using Ptychopetalum olacoides bark or any other similar ingredients.