You might see the strange name ginkgo biloba and ask yourself what on earth this has to do with VigRX Plus.
Well, most supplements are packed with natural ingredients from Panax ginseng through to gingko. All these herbs contain properties to *help with various aspects of sexual functioning.
We’ll be exploring whether or not ginkgo biloba1 might *help with libido but first we’ll highlight what it is and how it works.
Ginkgo Biloba: Overview
Ginkgo biloba, also known as maidenhair, is the only surviving member of an ancient order of Chinese trees.
Nicknamed the living fossil, ginkgo has been around in some form for 200 million years. This tree can grow an incredible 130 feet high and lifespan can stretch to 2000 years.
The leaves and seeds of this tree have been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicine but the bulk of its use in the west comes in the form of an extract from the leaves.
How Does Ginkgo Biloba Work?
Dosage varies according to application.
Whatever the reason for using gingko, you should always start off with 120mg or less to mitigate the chance of gastrointestinal side effects.
Avoid crude ginkgo plant components and stick to a formulation like VigRX Plus where it simply features as one of the ingredients.
What’s the point of taking ginkgo, then? Is this extract of any use whatsoever for giving your libido a helping hand?
Key Benefits of Ginkgo Biloba
- Sexual Dysfunction: Some studies have indicated ginkgo biloba extract might be useful for *improving sexual dysfunction. Suggested benefits include the possibility of *boosting flagging libido and providing some relief if you struggle achieving and maintaining an erection. The primary way in which gingko can be used to this end is because of the way it seems to *impact blood flow
- Inflammation: While it can be incredibly uncomfortable, inflammation is your body’s natural response to fighting off invading foreign substances or to *help with healing injuries. Inflammation can become severe in some chronic diseases and ginkgo has been shown to demonstrate possible benefits with inflammation as a result of arthritis, cancer, heart disease, and stroke
- Circulation: One of the traditional uses of ginkgo seeds in traditional Chinese medicine is to open channels of energy to the various organ systems in the body. Gingko *appears to have the ability to increase blood flow to several parts of the body. More research is needed to flesh out how, exactly, gingko *influences circulation
- Cognitive Function: There’s some *speculation that ginkgo biloba might *enhance brain function to some extent in healthy individuals. Beyond this, the extract could also be of some use *reducing the memory loss characteristic of dementia. Here, again, the data is not consistent enough to make bolder claims
- Anxiety: A number of animal studies have shown ginkgo might be beneficial for people suffering from anxiety due to its rich antioxidant properties. Research continues in this area
- Depression: Animals subjected to unavoidably stressful situations were not as emotionally affected if they had taken gingko due to its anti-inflammatory nature. Much more research is required but there’s some *potential benefit
- Migraines and Headaches: One of ginkgo’s most popular applications in the east is for treating headaches and migraines. With such powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, stress-related headaches can be *relieved with gingko
- Asthma: Some research suggests that ginkgo could *improve symptoms of asthma and other inflammatory respiratory diseases. Unfortunately, studies into this involved the use of mixed herbs so it’s impossible to isolate ginkgo as responsible for this *improvement. As with most aspects of ginkgo, more research is needed
We’ll take a quick glimpse at how ginkgo biloba might deliver *improvements in the bedroom to round out.
Ginkgo Biloba for Libido
Ginkgo can potentially *increase levels of nitric oxide in the blood. This, in turn, *improves circulation through dilating the blood vessels. This is the core reason that ginkgo is used to counter a range of symptoms brought about by various sexual dysfunctions. Blood flow could be improved to certain areas of the body.
While there have been a number of studies in this area, findings are not conclusive. Nevertheless, due to the way ginkgo can direct more blood to some body parts, many assume this means that more blood can be directed to the penis.
It’s not quite as simple as this, though. Conclusions of studies have shown promise but no direct proven link.
Other research has shown that gingko can be used to *help treat sexual dysfunction brought on by the use of antidepressants. Again, the results were not conclusive. What was made clear was that therapy should be used alongside ginkgo for best results.
Also, since anxiety can negatively affect your libido, you might reap some benefits from ginkgo if it helps to make you less anxious.
Side Effects of Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo should be safe to use but, as with any dietary supplement, you should always speak with your doctor before embarking on any change in routine.
While there’s a low risk associated with most adults taking ginkgo, in some instances it can cause serious harm.
If you’re allergic to plants containing alkylphenols or you’re taking certain medications, do not under any circumstances take ginkgo. With a number of blood-thinning medications, the risk of bleeding is *increased. Ginkgo can also bring about adverse reactions with antidepressants like Prozac and Zoloft. It’s also inadvisable to use gingko in tandem with Ibuprofen or Tylenol.
Bottom line, if you’re taking any meds at all, be sure to speak with your healthcare provider before using ginkgo in any form.
Some of the possible side effects of ginkgo include:
- Rash or allergic reaction
- Stomach pain
What To Do Next
If you don’t fall into any of the contraindication categories above, maybe ginkgo biloba sounds like something that might help with your sex drive.
If so, make absolutely certain to speak with your doctor then consider a supplement like VigRX Plus which not only contains gingko but also a range of other natural ingredients capable of *enhancing your sexual experience.